Filling the hours between hunting and shooting adventures can be a perilous activity. For the avid outdoors person, the idea of being trapped inside can lead to bad moods, insufferable F.O.M.O (fear of missing out) and if caught unoccupied by a spouse or partner, the dreaded shopping trip.
To counter the fear of a rainy Saturday at Debenhams you have to be prepared with a strong reason not to be there and what could be more a reason than the proposition of a romantic night in with a King of Thrones style feast and Box Set for their pleasure and delight? A truly romantic gesture and one that should keep you out of a Retail Outlet Centre, could possibly rope the kids in to help if you have any, whilst giving you the opportunity to clear some game from the freezer to make way for the next foray’s success!
For those of you who watch Game of Thrones or read the books, you may have noticed that the humble pigeon is somewhat pedestaled by being a dish for Royalty and aristocracy to demonstrate wealth and power at formal events such as weddings.
Follow this relatively easy recipe to make a delicious pigeon pie:
For 4 pies:
- 1 1/2 pounds pigeon or duck breast
- 1/2 pound mixed mushrooms
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 ounces Boursin cheese
- 1 roll phyllo dough, (4 sheets)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- Chop the breast meat, mushrooms, and green onions. Melt ¼ cup butter in a pan. Sauté the chopped mixture over medium-high heat for several minutes until meat is cooked.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add cream and cheese and blend well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Let cool and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Lay out 4 sheets of phyllo on a damp cloth and cover with another damp cloth.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place one sheet of phyllo on a work surface and brush with 1 tablespoon of melted butter. Place one-fourth of the chilled meat mixture on the upper center of the dough.
- Fold over the sides and roll up. Butter outside of dough heavily. Repeat three times to make remaining pies.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and serve hot with seasonal vegetables and a decent Rioja
Any leftover trimmings from the pastry can be shaped in to crowns or hearts or Phyllo flowers, basted with melted butter and cooked separately to add decoration. Experiment to find out what shapes work best. Most of all….. enjoy!